Random Poems

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Prayer of a Dying Atheist



Prayer of a Dying Atheist



Dear God,
Why am I so scared to die?
Why do I fear an afterlife?
What if nothing happens?
If I just cease to be,
Why does any of this matter to me?
Surely, if I suddenly blink out,
Remain but a memory,
In the hearts of others.
If it matters not of my actions,
Bad or good.
If all of this has been a blink,
In the eyes of existence.
If my life and the lives of others,
Leave but footprints and memories.
Then,
So many opportunities lost,
So many lives not lived,
All the possibilities missed,
The gambles, the risks, 
People not kissed.
Is there a Heaven?
Is there a Hell?
Because, though I didn't know it,
I was good to those around me.
And though I think you don't exist,
I'm talking to you last.
It doesn't make me crazy.
I'm just covering my ass.
Amen.




By J. Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment