Random Poems

Sunday 12 May 2013

The Beauty & The Beast


The Beauty & The Beast

Things'll never change;
They'll always stay the same;
Inside my stupid brain.

You, you're so damn gorgeous,
And it's you I want to know.
But as I walk over to where you're sitting,
My quick mind's gone suddenly slow.

I can't think of anything to say,
My lips can't even form, “Hi.”
Appearing, here, as a gibbering mess.
The result of this, my stupid mind.

You look at me like I am mental;
And you honestly can't be blamed.
The only thing I'm missing is drool,
Then I'd appear totally de-brained.

At last my jaw muscles loosen,
And my tongue, it flaps to life,
And I manage to mumble, “How are you?”
I'm surprised it comes out right.

The look you give is familiar,
I've seen it many times before.
But why? I just can't understand it.
It's not like I just called you a whore.

Nose turns up, eyes look down.
On your brow a frown is creased.
That look you're giving me is burning clear,
You are Beauty and I'm the beast.

Like, how dare I have the courage,
To open my mouth and talk to you.
Do I really come across as that creepy guy?
I see you eyeing that corkscrew.

I only wanted to have a chat,
Maybe over a drink or two.
Learn a bit about your beautiful mind,
And share some of mine with you.

The look you gave and keep on giving,
Is making it all so clear to me.
Guys like me and girls like you,
We will never, ever be.

And so I stand here, awkward,
Watching your face cock to the side.
You open your mouth and densely mumble,
“I don't suppose you know how to sign?”

Now it's my turn to give to you
a look that really must look strange.
But I can definitely assure you,
I'm really not deranged.

At first I was taken by your beauty,
Now amazed at this offering of peace.
The only words I expected to hear, was,
“Piss off or I'll call the police!”

You explain to me with a smile,
That is kind and warms my heart,
Though you've been deaf since you were born,
You just can't read lips in the dark.

You were looking at me strangely,
Not for fear or with disdain.
You were trying to figure out what I had said.
Here's me thinking you were vain.

We continue our conversation,
After we moved to a table with better light.
And we became so absorbed in each other,
Before we knew it we'd talked all night.

And now I know that I sound crazy,
But you said you felt it too.
We'd only known each other this one night,
But it seems I've already fallen for you.

It seems things've changed;
They'll never be the same;
With you inside my brain.




By J. Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment